Sunday, August 14, 2011

Hopewell Rocks - my childhood playground


A few weekends ago we went to Hopewell Rocks. Its about a half hour drive from where we live here in NB and was only a mile (or less) from our cottage when I was young and growing up. I used to walk here often and hang out.. more often I would go to the pool at the campground next door, they had pinball machines and more kids hanging out at the pool.. but often I would go walk the shore and caves of the Rocks.

I took a lot of pictures but I only noticed when I got home that they came out kind of blue. I'll post some below anyway ; )  I was willing this time to pay the price - they charge now, and for many years I refused to pay the price, because I was used to it being free to go there. ..but it was worth it.

Heres the official website they have now: http://www.thehopewellrocks.ca/
I was surprised to find out that they are a finalist for one of the 7 natural wonders of the world!
Actually its the whole bay of Fundy, not only the Rocks. The bay of Fundy has the highest tides in the world!!!

Here are some of the pics I took:






They rope off the caves so you cant go in them anymore. They are not very deep... but good for playing hide and seek in ; ) 





We took the shuttle, they run every minute or two..  or you can take the 20 minute path.
They made it seem longer to get to them.. they are actually not far from the main road..but if you look at a map you can see your just traveling along the coastline to get to them. ..maybe a moneygrab for the shuttle?? not sure  ..but at least its a nice path whether you walk or shuttle.



Mud!!! We have lots of it out here!!! ..some people like to play in it!  ; )

The trip back..





Some nice pics here:
http://www.worldbeachvacation.com/hopewell-rocks-bay-of-sunday-natural-wonders-vacation.html/

No comments: